Water Pan

A metal trough at the end of the dampening system on a printing press used in offset lithography in which the fountain solution is kept. In intermittent-flow dampening systems, a fountain pan roller picks up the fountain solution from the water pan and transfers it to a ductor roller which alternately contacts the fountain pan roller and an oscillator. In continuous-flow dampening systems, a rotating metering roller transfers the fountain solution from the water pan directly and continuously to a transfer roller. Water stops can be added to the water pan, which squeeze set amounts of fountain solution from the fountain pan roller, allowing greater control over the amount of dampening solution transferred to the plate. (See Dampening System.) The water pan is also called the fountain pan, the water fountain, or, generically, the fountain.

All text and images are licensed under a Creative Commons License
permitting sharing and adaptation with attribution. (See Copyrights for details.)

PrintWiki – the Free Encyclopedia of Print
About    Hosted by WhatTheyThink